Well of Chaos
Playful Chaosity
Yikes! and Now whats 
20th-Dec-2014 11:11 am
aerianya: (Default)
As you may or may not have seen in my work post, our Child Development Center is closing as another cdc bought the buildings.So I filled out the application I was given, updated my resume and turned it all over with the release so they could get my finger print report, background check, last pay stub and whatever they wanted or needed from my files.
The lady from the other center came in Wednesday to conduct interviews with the permission of our director and was very nice.She  said that they want to keep as much staff as would stay, but remember new company, think of ourselves as new hires that all goes without saying, but was VERY vague on pay.
So that night after our tear filled last staff meeting, I submitted an application on line to another center.
The next day the other center called me at work to set up an interview.  (Seems one of our managers is going back there.)  I made an appointment for the 26th to go to the other center for an interview.  In the mean time I got an offer from the new cdc taking over for $1 an hour less than I make now (that's what they pay their cdas), but they pay $100 bonuses to the leads every month... this all comes with a 3 month probationary "training" period. So are they just using us to start up the new center because they can't man it  until they can replace us all with their lower paid employees or do they really want us? They seem genuine enough that I plan on staying, but now I have this interview next Friday.
I'm really conflicted because ultimately it's about the kids and the families many of which we're losing because the new center won't take part time children, so these families have less than two weeks notice to find childcare by the 2nd. I really don't want to leave my friends at the center  (more like family) and the kids but it seems so heartless the way this is being handled. I have a hard time understanding why they couldn't accommodate these families for a couple of months till they could place their children some place else .
I have some real soul searching to do over the holidays. I know the center where I applied will at least meet or exceed my present pay, but my children will need support during this transition. I told the other center I wouldn't be available till  after the 20th of January .
So there's the now what.
On the other hand Merry Christmas at least we have some choices!

Comments 
21st-Dec-2014 05:11 am (UTC)
Good luck with making your decision. I knkow that its going to be hard.
23rd-Dec-2014 03:40 am (UTC)
ext_9267: (Default)
It's hard to make any choices without all the facts.
But I've decided to put it all off till after the New Year.
22nd-Dec-2014 10:47 pm (UTC)
Tough call. I'd be a bit skeptical, take the other interview & keep your options very open. You can always change your mind on the start date.

For you it may be all about the kids and their families, but the new company looks to have the bottom line as their priority. If their launch shows little sympathy to their former clients, they're unlikely to change their stripes later. Ditto the plan to hire known workers back as probationers at a lower wage.

You may love your former colleagues, & feel honor bound to rescue clients you've worked with, but this ain't going to be the same ship you have all been sailing on.
23rd-Dec-2014 03:38 am (UTC)
ext_9267: (in a handbasket)
Oh yes,we all know it's never gonna be the same.
Especially going from non profit to profit company.
They will be back in the 29th and tell us all we need to know (at least what they figure we should know anyway).
The big reason I'm staying is to help with the transition, at least for a while to see how everything plays out.
Decisions,decisions right? Well, not making any till after the New Year.
This page was loaded Jul 20th 2017, 12:40 pm GMT.